Thursday, February 14, 2013
happy valentine's day!
I am shamelessly in love with this holiday. A whole day dedicated to telling people you love and care about them? Sounds good to me! It might be commercial, but what holiday isn't nowadays? I think it's all what you make it. When I was in high school without a boyfriend (the ultimate Valentine's Day hating combination), I decided I would embrace the holiday as a day to tell all the people besides my non-existent boyfriend how much I love them. This was before the invention of Galentine's Day, but I still feel that way about Valentine's Day.
Valentine's Day clebrations can be as diverse and complicated as the different ways we experience love. I have one coworker who is spending Valentine's Day with her uncle who lost his wife in a tragic accident a few years ago. Another coworker had a cake today to celebrate the finalizing of her divorce proceedings - which had been going on for two years. She shared this morning how blessed she is to have such wonderful people in her life who helped her get through all the difficulties of losing her husband. Loves comes in all shapes and sizes.
In honor of this wonderful holiday, here's a little present from me to you: a love mix! Hope you enjoy and hope you have a love filled day!
Valentine's Day playlist
1. Simple Song, The Shins, love's such a delicate thing that we do, with nothing to prove2. Kiss to Build a Dream On, Louis Armstrong, sweetheart, I ask no more than this
3. You Belong to Me, Carla Bruni, see the market place in old Algiers, send me photographs and souveniers
4. Far Away, Ingrid Michaelson, I will bear three girls all with strawberry curls, little Ella and Nelly and Faye
5. This Must Be the Place, Talking Heads, home is where I want to be, but I guess I'm already there
6. I Can't Make You Love Me, Bon Iver, you can't make your heart feel something it won't
7. Fidelity, Regina Spektor, by protecting my heart truly I got lost in the sounds I hear in my mind
8. Gray or Blue, Jaymay, I'm remembering you singing and bringing you back to life
9. Business Time, Flight of the Conchords, but Wednesday we make sweet weekly love10. Taxi, Harry Chapin, through the too many miles and the too little smiles, I still remember you
11. Reasons to Love You, Meiko, take my hand and let's dance
12. Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler, every now and then I get a little bit restless, and I dreamof something wild
13. Sea of Love, Cat Power, I wanna tell you how much I love you
14. Our House, Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, you put the flowers in the vase that you bought today15. Let's Stay Together, Al Green whether times are good or bad or happy or sad
If you were trying to find music to help you ignore Valentine's Day, check out this little treat from All Songs Considered.